Meeting these minimum contribution requirements is generally not difficult if you have lived in Canada all your life. It is much more difficult if you have moved to one or another country partly through life. In the absence of a social security agreement between these countries, individuals would not be entitled to benefits from one or both of these countries. Hello, Doug, your help will be greatly appreciated. I am 15 years old, I live in Courtice, Ontario. My question is about the survival pension. My father is dead, and apparently I can apply for this pension here in Canada and in my father`s country, Chile. My father worked in Chile for a short time, when he was young, before coming to Canada as he did 50 years ago. Both pensions work the same way. Being a student until I`m 24. Can I receive both reversion pensions? (My mother divorced my father, at least for the survival pension in Chile, she is not eligible). If I apply for the pension in Chile via Service Canada (Chile and Canada have an agreement), how does it work? If I am ashamed in Chile, I must, among some documents they ask, obtain Chilean nationality, which I do not have about it. To do this, I also need a Chilean identifier, similar to our SIN, whose number is used for almost everything in Chile.

So, just to begin with, I should get these two things through the Chilean Consulate in Toronto. If I apply for the survival pension in Chile via Canada, would it be the same with respect to the necessary documents, which means that I still have to do the same at the consulate mentioned above? That`s what I want to avoid. Assuming I apply to Canada, how does the payment of Chile`s benefit work? I would not worry about paying from here. The Chilean institution sends money to Canada and Canada pays me? I guess some things, as you can see, do not know, for example, whether I can get both pensions. If only one pension was allowed, how or who decides? If I stay with the Chilean pension because the monthly payment is more than the pension here in Canada, Canada enters it, with the exception of the tax issue? Doug, right now, I don`t know what to do. I asked a few questions about it by phone in Ottawa (International Division Human Resources and Development) and they have no idea about the case. You told me about an application to be filled out, but that is not enough. Unfortunately, at this time, I cannot personally go to the Service Canada office for the virus, and apparently no one knows when it will end. I`m just trying to find out things in advance for the day when I can start filling out the paperwork, if you know what I mean. I think the only person who can help me is someone like you that I was lucky enough to find on the Internet. I do not know if possible, but I would like to know that you advise and recommend.

This is a unique opportunity that would give me the chance to follow what I want to go to a medical school. Doug, thank you again and take care. No doubt, the virus is a killer. Donna – I`m sorry, but I`m not a Social Security expert from the United States. You should contact them to see how much your SS is being reduced under the WFP. I was born in 1965 and grew up in Canada. I have my diplomas (undergrad und Recht) in Canada. I moved to the United States in 2000 (I was 35 years old). To my knowledge, I do not have the “20 years after 18 years” conditions to be able to claim the OAS. But I think there is a provision in the agreement between the United States and Canada, which is that it will count my years in the United States so that I can meet the 20-year requirement. Hello June – Yes, you should be able to get U.S.

benefits under the Canada/U.S. agreement, and this has no impact on your CPP or OAS benefits from Canada.